Posted By Staff Reporter
Parties involved in the Constitutional challenge regarding the thirty months grace period will return to court for further directions next Wednesday.
A hearing before a five men Supreme Court Bench led by Chief Justice Sir Salamo Injia was conducted and completed last month, however its revealed they are recalling the case back.
Further directions may be issued and is likely to be on whether there are other points of law that needed to be argued.
Loani Henao, Lawyer acting for Opposition Leader Belden Namah in the case told NBC News this afternoon (Tue 1/10/14).
"We have challenged the Constitutional validity of the 18 and 30 months grace period" Mr Henao said.
Namah and former Ombudsmen Ila Geno have consolidated proceedings on the same matter, but arguing on different grounds.
This relates to amendments to certain sections of the Constitution relating to the grace period, number of parliament sitting days, notice of motion, and number of MP's needed to move a vote of no confidence.
A ruling that was to be handed down will be defered as a result.
Papua New Guinea daily News updates
Let Your Voice be heard: Submit your news articles, commentaries, letters , Photos, Media Releases etc to us on this email: email@example.com
Subscribe for News Alerts
Get Breaking News Headlines through Email: Subscribe Now